The 2020 WWF Kids State Folkstyle State Championships will be held on Friday & Saturday March 27th & 28th 2020 at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum (Alliant Energy Center) located at 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way, Madison, WI 53713.
State championship participants must qualify for this event by placing in the top two in their respective age and weight division at any of the eight qualifier tournaments which are held on Saturday, March 21, 2020.
Schedule of Times:
Friday, March 27, 2020
- Doors open 8;30am [No Early Entry]
- 9:00 - 10:30 am boys born 2007-08 and 2009-10 & girls born in 2005-2006
- Grand march - 10:45 am boys born 2007-10 and girls born in 2005-06. Meet in your staging area at 10:35 am
- Wrestling starts at 11:00 am boys born 2007-10 and girls born in 2005-06. They will wrestle through championship matches completed by around 7pm
Saturday, March 28, 2020
- Doors open 8;30am [No Early Entry]
- 9:00 - 10:30 am boys born 2005-06 and 2011-12 & girls born in 2007-2012
- Grand march - 10:45 am boys born 2005-06 and 2011-12 & girls born in 2007-2012. Meet in your staging area at 10:35 am
- Wrestling starts at 11:00 am boys born 2005-06 and 2011-12 & girls born in 2007-2012 They will wrestle through championship matches completed by around 7pm
- Adults (9th grade and older): $10.00 single day & $15.00 for all sessions.
- Children (K-8th grade): $5.00 for all sessions.
- Under 5 years old and competitors: free.
- USAW Coaches Cards accepted for free entry.
- Admission bracelets and programs will be sold at weigh-ins.
- Cash only accepted at ticket office. No checks / no credit cards.
Registration and Weigh-Ins
- All wrestlers must register and weigh-in by the time listed above for their age group. Wrestlers must wear a singlet during weigh-ins and no weight allowance is given for the singlet itself. Remember: there is no weight allowance given for the state tournament and all wrestlers must make the same weight class that they qualified during the qualifiers.
- Note to parents: your wrestler must be in his/her singlet before entering the registration line. There is no area available for changing during the weigh-in process. Parents will be responsible for their child's belongings during the registration & weigh-in procedure.
- Alliant energy center collects a daily parking fee. There is also parking in the back of the arena.
Food and Coolers
- No food and beverage coolers are allowed in the Alliant Center. This is strictly enforced.
- Wrestlers will be assigned to a set of mats for each session. Finals are assigned individually by the place you are wrestling for. Please check at weigh-ins or the WWF website ahead of time for your assigned mats.
- Wrestlers will be assigned bout numbers for their bouts on their chart. Please refer to the score clocks for your mats to see what bout numbers are being wrestled on your set of mats and when they are about 5 bouts times the number of mats your group is using away from your bout number. In addition the projection screens (near the staging area) are also used for mat assignments. Once an assignment is shown on the display, wrestlers can proceed to the assigned mat through the floor entrance with their two respective coaches.
Qualifier Tournament Results & State Championship Qualifier List
- All the Kids State Qualifier Tournaments will be run on Trackwrestling and results will be on this site on Sunday, March 22, 2020
- In addition, a list of all State Championship qualifiers will be posted.
- Please carefully review the qualifiers list to verify and spell-check all wrestlers’ names and accurate club name. Notify Jeff Jones (contact information above) for corrections before 11:59 pm, Sunday, March 22, 2020.
- The names and clubs will be going in the program exactly the way they are on the web site as of Monday, March 18 (am).
- The brackets will not be posted anywhere until the day of the event before weigh-ins.
Mat Side Coaching USA Coaching Card Requirement
- In order to be allowed mat side to coach at the WWF kids’ folkstyle state championship event, one must be a current USA wrestling coach member; and one must specifically hold a USAW Copper Certification or higher. This includes parents, club coaches, etc.
- Individuals 18 years of age and older must successfully complete a mandatory background check before purchasing USA wrestling coaches membership. Please allow 7-10 business days for the background check process, as USA wrestling coach’s memberships will not be available on-site.
- All USA wrestling member coaches will receive free admission to the WWF state folkstyle championships. The coach’s must enter the coaches entrance to receive their wristbands and free admission and they will only be open both days 8:30am.until 11am
- Coach’s entrance will be on either side this year and will only be open 8:30am - 11am both days. In order to receive free admission and floor access, proof of coach membership along with a valid photo ID will be required.
- One adult without a USA wrestling coach membership will be allowed to accompany each wrestler to the arena floor and must enter with the wrestler through the tunnel. This adult will not be allowed to coach and must stay within the designated area along the arena wall. This is being done to ensure that youth wrestlers may be accompanied by someone.