Thank you to everyone that joined us for our monthly meeting earlier this week! Notes, along with the video replay, are highlighted below.
What: General Membership Information Call #2
When: March 15th at 7PM
Replay: Select here for the video replay; passcode: 3!O1?3CV
Kids State Final Announcements, Todd Schaaf
Congratulations to all that advanced out of the Kids State Qualifiers today! We’re looking forward to having everyone at the Alliant Energy Center.
- A list of qualifiers will be posted online shortly. Please verify the spelling of your athlete's name by 8PM on Sunday, March 19th.
- NEW! Please make sure a profile photo is uploaded in the USAW membership system for wrestlers by midnight Tuesday, March 21st so they have their picture on their competitor floor pass. Select here for a tutorial on how to upload your profile photo.
- Qualifiers can commemorate the event by purchasing a state patch or jacket here. Orders must be placed by Tuesday, March 21st.
- COACHES: Coaches must have a current USA Wrestling Leaders membership and a Copper Coaches Certification or higher to be matside. Coaches are required to purchase a coaches pass, and to have an updated profile photo in the USAW system to be matside. The online deadline is Tuesday, March 21st for $15. Late passes can be bought onsite for $30.
- We met with the Alliant Center to address the availability of healthier food options in 2023! There will be six concessions with quality options, as well as three food trucks.
- There will be no cost to park at the Alliant Center this season, and both tunnels will be open for athletes to access the mats. We encourage you to purchase admission passes Thursday night.
- Please visit the tournament web page here to access the complete schedule, weigh-in procedures and cost information.
Men’s Freestyle and Greco National Duals, Scott Kluever
- All athletes interested in competing at National Duals (14U, 16U and Juniors) will submit an interest form after the WWF freestyle and Greco state tournament in May. Complete selection criteria, dates and cost information is posted online. Highlights are below.
- NEW IN 2023: The Junior Boys National Duals Team will be selected using USA Wrestling’s Performance Index rating. PI measures consistency over time and rates the probability of a person winning against an opponent based on their body of work. The PI system uses historical data from all USA Wrestling sanctioned freestyle and Greco events. We will use PI information through the 2023 Northern Plains Regional Championships to determine the Junior National Dual team. Opportunities for wrestlers to improve their ranking in 2023 include the US Open, the WWF Freestyle & Greco State Championships, Northern Plains and any other local freestyle and Greco tournament sanctioned by USA Wrestling. Individual PI rankings will be made public after the team selection. The Junior National Dual team will travel and compete in Tulsa, Oklahoma, June 12th-16th for Greco, and June 19th-10th for freestyle.
- The 16U National Dual team will compete in Loves Park, Illinois, June 6th-8th for Greco, and June 8th-10th for freestyle. The MFS and GR 16U National Dual Team is determined by the highest placer at freestyle and Greco state. Wisconsin will bring two teams for freestyle and one for Greco.
- The 14U National Dual team will compete in Oaks, Pennsylvania, June 6-11. The team is determined by the highest placer at freestyle and Greco state. We will take one team to compete in both styles.
- Information for Fargo is posted online, and will be covered in the April call.
Beginner Freestyle and Greco Tournament, Scott Kluever
- The WWF is happy to announce that we will host a true beginner freestyle and Greco state tournament in Fon du Lac, April 29th. This tournament is open only to those athletes that have not competed in the WWF freestyle and Greco state championships before. The event will run alongside an open freestyle and Greco tournament and lands the weekend before the Wisconsin state tournament so that athletes can join us in the Dells if they enjoyed competing in FS/GR.
Women’s Freestyle, Neysa Bianchi
- The WWF hosts training team camps for 14U, 16U and Junior age group wrestlers. These camps are open to all female wrestlers in Wisconsin with a USA Wrestling card. Training Team Camp #1 (14U, 16U & Juniors) is Sunday, April 23rd, at Team Nazar’s club location in Madison. Training Team Camp #2 (14U, 16U & Juniors) is Sunday, May 7th, at the Talon Training Center in Mauston WI. Select here to register for one or both camps. The cost is $25 per athlete, per camp.
- The Junior National Dual team will travel and compete in Tulsa, Oklahoma, June 12th-16th. The WFS Junior National Dual Team (16U and Juniors are combined) is selected based on placements at these events, in the following order: 1) Women's Nationals, 2) the WWF Freestyle State tournament and 3) Northern Plains.
- The 14U National Dual team will travel and compete in Tulsa, Oklahoma, June 12th-16th.The 14U National Dual Team is selected based on placements at these 2023 events, in the following order: 1) Women's Nationals, 2) WWF Freestyle State, 3) Northern Plains and 4) WWF Girls Folkstyle State. Coach Koontz will also consider 2022 results.
- Information for Fargo is posted online, and will be covered in the April call. All athletes will need to qualify to compete in 2023.
- Check out this 2023 season overview that highlights camps, competitions and important qualifying information from specific events.
- The first round of gear store orders has been submitted. The store will open again for a short window before the freestyle and Greco state tournament in early May. Athletes on the national team at Fargo are responsible for purchasing the Team Wisconsin uniform package (minimum red and blue singlet). Wrestlers on the National Team that do not wish to purchase a new set of singlets may use a generic reversible singlet offered by the WWF coaching staff. Athletes who purchased singlets in 2022 DO NOT need to purchase them again this year. The singlets are the same for 2023.
The WWF uses the USA Wrestling membership system to send out communications and important updates. Please make sure the email you have listed in your profile is current. Thank you! The next call in our monthly series is scheduled for Wednesday, April 19th, at 7PM.